Personal Project: Reebok Club C 85

For my personal project, I decided to create an adv for Reebok.

I have been wearing the Club C 85 for almost half of my life. Turns out that this brand usually does not create 3D motion graphics for its product as much as other massive brands do.

Therefore my project’s aim is to create an advertisement proposal to celebrate and promote those sneakers that everyone got at least once in their life.

The ad is gonna be focused on textures, meshes, and animations, to express the shoe’s qualities.

MODELING

After having done several tests, I decided to use a cube polygon to start. By selecting its vertexes and following the reference images, I modified its shape easily and quickly.

When I finally was happy with the mesh, I selected the upper faces of the shoe’s tongue and counter lining, deleted it, and extruded the rest of it to make it look realistic.

Later, I selected the collar, eye-stay, upper, outsole, and counter faces of the shoe and extruded them to make the mesh look like the shoe reference.

Once the top looked like I wanted, I started modeling the sole.

Basically, the sole process was the same used for the top shoe described before. However, as you can imagine, the issue was trying to match the second mesh with the one already done. Although everything, in the end, I achieved the result.

As you can see here, the work was not finished, so after the cube was fixed, I looked at another reference image on the internet, and I cut diagonally the edges I needed to recreate the mid-sole with the cut tool. Then I extruded.

VIEWS

Finally, when I was happy with my model, firstly I smoothed it, afterwards I added another cube polygon to recreate the shoe’s tongue. Then, I created a plane polygon to make the Reebok label. I modified the plane vertexes to match the original shape, curved a bit its end edges on the top, and used the mirror tool to duplicate.

Eventually, I had to do the shoe’s UVs, and this was the most difficult part. So I called Nick who explained to me that I needed to divide the original mesh into pieces.

Therefore, as you can see from the images, I selected the edges of the pieces I needed, clicked on Detach and once the selection was detached I went on Object mode and then used the Separate Tool under meshes.

This process has allowed me to create a single UV in which I was able to unfold every single piece of the shoe and create a single JPEG for the base color texture in the Hypershade.

When I managed to put the UVs correctly, I fixed the roughness of the texture and added a rubber height JPEG to the bump map for the sole; a leather one for the shoe, and woven for the laces.

Eventually, I realized how much time I spent modeling simple things on Maya. So, as I know Cinema 4D since 2018, I started combining the two software.

The first thing I have done in Cinema was importing the shoe from Maya as an obj file and create the shoe’s dreads.

To create the stitches I have basically used just a spline that would have followed the shoe’s shape. To create the spline geometry I added sweep nurbs and put the spline as its child.

Lastly, I decided to model the shoe’s sole on cinema. So, I started from a spline that would have followed the perimeter I needed.

Afterwards, I imported the Reebok Logo in cinema and drew the letters with more splines. Once I got the logo, I matched the letters with the sole photo and extruded with the Extrude tool.

This process was applied for each component of the lower sole.

Once the lower sole was as the photo was, I exported it as an OBJ and imported on Maya.

As we can see, the mesh was not matching perfectly the shoe’s upper sole, so I modeled another piece on Maya that would have made the view of the whole sole flat and smooth.

ANIMATION

First animation: Cloner animation.

As soon as I textured the shoe, put a sky and a spot light, I used a camera to make a first closeup of the shoe rotation.

Once the rotation was made, I created a plane and two cubes to make a transition between the close up and the cloner animation.

Firstly, a cloth tag was added to the plane. However, in order to make the cloth move from A to B, I added two cloth belt points tag to the primitive object. Once this was done, the cubes were used as parent to move those points from one place to another.

Here, I duplicated the shoe and put it as child in the Cloner tool. I set it as radial mode and fixed the start angle of the animation and the shoe’s rotation.

Finally, I set the visibility of the shoe for each animation and rendered it in Physical mode.

1ST Composition

Second animation: Twist

I added a Twist tool as a child of the shoe; set its measures as the parent’s and rotated it as much as the animation needed to be.

Then I fixed the twist angle and added the key-frames.

Eventually, most of the animation was made from a spline and a camera.

So, in the 4th view I created a spline parallel to the shoe, the I added a camera and to the camera an align to spline tag.

Finally, I key framed the position I wanted into the align to spline attribute.

Eventually, I checked the F-curves for both the shoe and camera, and baked the PLA.

2ND Composition

Third animation: stitches close up

As I wanted to focus my adv also on how the shoe’s done, I decided to create a stitch animation by following some tutorials on Youtube.

Firstly I created a Matrix Tool, then (by keeping the matrix selected) I added a Formula tool and turned off both the scale and the X position, and increased the Y of 4 cm to make it go up and down like a sewer machine.

Once I’ve done it, I selected everything and created a Null Object to keep the hierarchy.

Then, I moved the Null from A to B in Z and key framed each position.

After I added a Traces Tool and dragged and dropped the Matrix tool into its Trace Link, I created an actual geometry:

So, I added a n-side spline and a sweep nurbs as a parent. Inside of it I also added the tracer I previously made and scaled the n-side spline to 0.5.

Later I added a Squash and Stretch tool, put as tracer’s child and adjusted its factor and aspect parameters.

Then I went to fall-off – into the Squash’s attributes – added a linear field and narrow it as much as I needed to make the animation look realistic.

Eventually, I added a plane which was already subdivided in 30. Then I put a collision tool as its child and inside the voice “collision” i dragged and dropped the sweep I previously made.

If the subdivision made is not enough, add a smoothing tool and put is as another plane’s child.

3RD Composition

Fourth Animation: Composition

For the 4th composition I used basic animations using the cloner tool – which has been set on object mode in order to make the primitive shapes following the splines I made- and a metaball animation.

I exported each animation as alembic and then imported on Maya; created UVs and color ramps, and finally rendered on Arnold.

4TH Composition

Fifth and Sixth animations: Close ups

For the 5th and 6th compositions I made close ups of the shoe with a camera that followed a spline on Maya.

However, since I rendered those close ups as PNG files, here you can see some frames

5TH Composition

6TH Composition

Seventh animation: Cloth

For the 7th and last composition I just used some clothes animation made on Cinema.

Firstly I added an Attractor Force; applied to it a spherical field fall off and scaled it as much as I needed.

Then I inverted its strength and added a Force Field, which would have helped me to control gravity and velocity of the clothes I made.

Once the Force Field was set, I created also a Random Field.

(remember that every time you add a force and don’t use the fall-off into the attributes panel, you can also keep selected the force you need and add whatever field you need)

Once I adjusted the Random Field parameters as I wanted, I scaled the Attractor Spherical Field once more.

Later I added another force: the Turbulence Force, to simulate a wind.

In the end I put a plane, converted into smart object and scaled it to make it look rectangular, placed it almost outside the Attractor force and finally added a cloth simulation tag.

Once the animation was as I wished, I exported the alembic and imported on Maya

Then I added to the clothes an aistandardsurface and a 2d bump in geometry.

I fixed the camera and shoe animations on the Graph editor and exported.

In the end, once I had all the composition I needed to edit the video, I put everything in After Effects and added some kinetic animation I made during my Bachelor in Milano.

REEBOK CLUB C85

STILLS AND COMPOSITION